Take an active role in our community.
We know that when we volunteer with other people, we grow in spirit. It’s important to harness the power of the Y to make life better for people around us. As a part of the Y family, you’re part of something greater that helps fulfill our cause to strengthen the foundation of our community.
Volunteer in the Y or through the Y in the community. Put your talents and passion into action through our service projects and programs with youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Fulfill your calling and serve with the Y.
Each branch of the YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne has a volunteer advisory board. Branch Advisory boards support the Executive Director in fulfilling his or her responsibilities as the staff leader. One of the most important roles of a Branch Board member is fundraising.
If you are interested in applying to become a Branch Board member, please contact the Executive Director of the branch where you would like to serve.
YMCA Chaplains are local Christian ministers who volunteer a few hours a week in a branch. They are available to members and staff to listen, pray, and support your spirit in accordance with our mission and core values. If you are a local minister interested in our chaplaincy program, please contact Tim Hallman, Director of Christian Emphasis.
Community Service Projects
Every month the Y is partnering with community organizations as a way to live out our mission and cause. Get involved in your neighborhood through a Y service project.
2019 Scheduled Service Projects:
· January 21, 2019, YMCA MLK Day of Service - painting and cleaning
· February 26, Bridge of Grace Compassionate Ministries - paint and clean
· March 21, Community Harvest Food Bank - stock shelves
· April 7-13, National Volunteer Week - parks & yards
· April 28, YMCA Camp Potawotami Clean Up
· April - October (TBD), Tri-State Watershed Riverside Clean Up
· May 4, YMCA Camp Kekionga Clean Up & Weisser Park Clean Up
· June 15, Associated Churches Father’s Day 5K - course marshals, registration, refreshments, and more
· July 8-12, NeighborLink Be A Good Neighbor Week - painting & repairs
· August 17-28, Germany Service Mission Trip*
· August 21, United Way Day of Caring - mulch, paint and yardwork
· September14-22, Welcoming Week* - painting and repairs
· October 22, Treasure House - sort and clean at the Rescue Mission thrift store
· November (TBD) Turkeypalooza - shred turkey for the Rescue Mission Thanksgiving meal
· November 18-21, YMCA Rake A Difference Week - neighborhood leaf clean up
· November 9 - December 2, Coats for Kids - sort and deliver coats
· December 26, 2019 - January 8, 2020, Chile Service Mission Trip*
Contact Tim Hallman, Director of Christian Emphasis - 260.755.4964 / email@example.com for more information about these scheduled Y service projects. Contact your local Y for more volunteer service projects through your branch.
The YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne partners with NeighborLink, a local charitable non-profit with a mission to put "Practical, neighbor-to-neighbor expressions of God's love" into action. We partner with them as a way for branches and community members to do service projects in our neighborhoods. Contact Tim Hallman for more information on how to do a NeighborLink project with your family and friends.
Invest in our youngest members with a good story and warm smile. To find out how to become a reader in Chilld Watch, please contact your local branch.