The YMCA exists to strengthen the foundations of our community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
We accomplish our mission by teaching kids new skills that build self-confidence, character values and leadership. We help adults and families lead healthy lifestyles. We connect older adults to an active support network. We provide outlets to give back to those in need. People engage with the Y on one level, but they soon find a deeper meaning to their activities and a connection to those around them. Ultimately, at its highest form, they feel compelled to reach out to their community by volunteering.
To volunteer in the YMCA, go to our volunteer page where you can find out more information and fill out a Volunteer Application.
Volunteer Opportunities in the YMCA
- Advisory Board Member: Join the board of your YMCA branch to help us better serve our members and the community.
- Chaplain: clergy and ministers can use this volunteer opportunity to listen and pray with staff and members looking for spiritual encouragement.
- Child Watch Reader: Invest in our youngest members with a good story and a warm smile.
- Community Service Projects: We have several projects each month that you may take part in to help fellow community members.
- Hope for Youth: Support our Youth by being present and talking with them at our events.
- Member Ambassador: Be the one to welcome new members to your Group Exercise or cycling class.
- Service Trip: Immerse yourself in cultures abroad.
- Togetherhood: Join in with other member to select and complete a community service project.
- Y Buddies: Come alongside participants with disabilities and join in on YMCA programs together.
- Youth Sports Coaches: Make a difference in the life of a child or teenager by teaching them skills for games (and for life).
Volunteer Opportunities in partnership with Greater Fort Wayne YMCA
- Associated Churches of Fort Wayne and Allen County: donate to their food bank, run in the Father's Day 5K Run/Walk, give needed supplies to newborn children
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Indiana: become a mentor through the community based programs, school buddy program, or Real Men Read
- Blue Jacket Inc.: invest in men and women with felonies seeking employment
- Bridges of Grace Compassionate Ministries: sign up to help with homework, rehabilitate vacant lots, support neighborhood revitalization on the south side of Fort Wayne
- Coats For Kids: volunteer to transport donated winter items to sorting locations, as well as sort them, and then deliver them to local schools and organizations serving children.
- Community Harvest Food Bank: stock shelves to serve families in need of healthy food
- Fort Wayne Parks Department: take time to help clean up a neighborhood park
- Habitat for Humanity: volunteer to build a safe, affordable home for a Fort Wayne family
- Parkview Hospice Services: volunteer to care for patients in hospice through a variety of programs: administrative support; tuck-in program making phone calls to ensure patients have proper supplies; pet therapy; bereavement support; vigil support.
- Rescue Mission: support men and women striving to escape homelessness, volunteer at Treasure House, or for Turkeypalooza in preparation for 3,000 meals at Thanksgiving.
- United Way Day of Caring: volunteer with almost 2,000 others from Allen County to serve in our city.
- Vincent Village: clean and repair homes for families transitioning out of homelessness